REVIEW - QUIET

This is a thoughtful and introspective examination of the culture of introversion and extroversion, and the 'culture of personality' that has emerged over the last few decades, that has seen society shift towards greatly valuing extroversion in the workplace and popular media. I found this a highly useful tool for introspection and a great way to start questioning many things about my work and social life that I take for granted. It helped me understand that I am not being 'rude' by saying "no" to social engagements or establishing certain boundaries for myself. I think anyone can stand to understand themselves and those around them better by reading this book. It separates the idea of being introverted from the need we all have to be socially stimulated. Far too many people misunderstand introversion/extroversion as black and white categories, when really we are all far more complex than that. This book goes into every angle of why that's the case.

While it is gratifying to read something that deeply values the qualities of introverts, I did feel that the book went too hard sometimes in exalting the positives of possessing an introverted nature. This serves only to deepen the divide between introverts and extroverts which I feel is counter to the purpose of this book.

Overall a great read and a great starting point for understanding yourself better. Highly recommended!

4/5


Comments

Popular Posts