WIIU LAUNCH RANGE

The Nintendo WiiU is a great console. Nintendo classics in HD look amazing, and the gamepad makes for a really, really fun multi-player experience. Nintendoland, which is a kind of showcase of mini-games all themed to the big Nintendo titles, works really well. It showcases the WiiU's features while remaining fun. I find the problem with some launch titles is that they try too hard to show off all the fancy new features of the console, and forget that the first thing a game should be is enjoyable. I haven't played it, but I've heard that this is the fatal flaw of ZombiU. I'm not planning on buying it anyway, because the unoriginal title screams 'generic zombie game' to me and I feel like it's just going to be a kind of Killing Floor/House of the Dead clone with little to no story or interesting content. Reading some reviews I've heard mixed responses. Most agree that the story is pretty much that of your average zombie movie set in London, but what I've read of the mechanics intrigues me - enough that I'm planning on playing through the demo.

What I really wanted to get to though, was how small the launch range of WiiU titles was! Apart from ZombiU and Nintendoland there are about 20 games, but they are all clones, remakes or re-releases of games: Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Super Mario, Scribblenauts, Just Dance, FIFA, Batman: Arkham City, Tekken, COD. I'm kind of disappointed! So far, Nintendoland seems just about the most exciting, original WiiU release. I'm eagerly awaiting Pikmin 3, and really hoping that we'll see either a Zelda or Metroid game released within the next 12 months, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think maybe the competitiveness between Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony has made it difficult for game devs to keep up with the release schedule, which is a shame! Because it doesn't matter how great a console is - if there are no good games available on it!!

Popular Posts